This is a recipe for a super simple cherry pie filling using fresh, ripe cherries!
Be sure to use fresh, ripe cherries for this recipe to ensure the best flavor. This recipe is fool proof so don’t be intimidated by making your own pie filling. After you whip up this filling head over and check out my recipe for Fried Cherry Hand Pies! It’s absolutely the best way to use this cherry pie filling!
The most time consuming part of this recipe is pitting the cherries. If you don’t have a cherry pitter, like me, then you can use a sturdy milkshake straw. Just poke the straw through the middle of the cherry and the pit pops right out!
Cherry Pie Filling
If you don't have a cherry pitter you can use a sturdy milkshake straw to pit your cherries. Just push the straw through the middle of the cherry and the pit pops right out!
Add more water as desired to reach your preferred consistency.
You may use lemon juice in place of the orange juice.
Do not leave out the vanilla!
- 1.5 lbs of pitted tart cherries
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 Tbs orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- Place pitted cherries in a large pot and add in sugar and orange juice.
- Turn heat on med and allow cherries to get hot and start cooking down to release all of their juices. Stirring often.
- Mix water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and add into the hot cherries.
- Bring it to a boil.
- When the mixture starts to get thick remove it from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pie crust or use to make Fried Cherry Hand Pies!
© 2021 Copyright 2017 CautiouslyOptimisticKitchen.com
I hope you enjoy this super quick and easy pie filling recipe! Don’t forget to pin it for later and use it when you make your own Fried Cherry Hand Pies!